Saturday, December 20, 2008

Chocolate & Vanilla Holiday Cupcakes


Well, this was my first paid baking order! One of my coworkers asked me if I would bake her 2 dozen cupcakes for her to give to her department and family for the holidays. I was so ecstatic! This was definitely an experience for me. I had a fun time making these but, being the perfectionist that I am, I probably spent way more time on them than I should have. I charged her $1 per cupcake. Tell me..would you pay $1 for one of these cupcakes? :)

I made 1 dozen chocolate & 1 dozen vanilla. I mixed and matched Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate recipes with Katie's recipes. I got the sprinkles at Central Market. The lady I baked these for said they were awesome and everyone in her department gave rave reviews, especially for the vanilla cream cheese frosting. Thanks, Katie! :) Happy Holidays & enjoy!!

Chocolate Cupcakes adapted from Hershey's with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting adapted from Good Things Catered


Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
(I used 1%)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

8 oz cream cheese, softened but still cool
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened but still cool
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
sprinkles to decorate

Directions:
Line cupcake tins with paper cups. Heat oven to 350 F. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. About 24 cupcakes. Bake 22 to 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until creamy. Add confectioners sugar and process until smooth. Refrigerate until cupcakes are completely cool and ready to decorate. Frost and decorate cupcakes with sprinkles as you like.



Classic French Vanilla Cupcakes adapted from Good Things Catered with Chocolate Frosting adapted from Hershey's


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup whole milk
(I only had 1%)
1 vanilla bean
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup HERSHEY'S cocoa
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F and line cupcake tins with paper cups. In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and whisk to combine thoroughly. Set aside. In bowl of stand mixer, beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat on high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, fully incorporating after each addition. Add innards of vanilla bean and extract. Turn mixer to low and alternatively add milk and flour mixture until fully incorporated. Divide batter evenly among baking cups (should fill about 3/4 full). About 18 cupcakes. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcakes comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely.

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. Frost and decorate cupcakes with sprinkles.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Great job Tiff! Hope you'll get more orders in the coming months for baked goods! :)

Anonymous said...

I would TOTALLY pay $1 per cupcake. That's not bad at all! And they look so delicious! :) :)