Friday, January 2, 2009

Soy Nog Cupcakes


Soy Nog is definitely a favorite of vegans and I am no exception. I love the stuff! So, when I saw a recipe for eggnog cupcakes on
Annie's blog, I knew immediately that I wanted to try it out with the soy nog. I am so glad I did because these turned out perfectly! So moist and delicious with a great rum/nog flavor but not too much. This was one of three desserts that I brought along for our holiday celebration and I think it was my favorite! I will be making these each year at the holidays, I am sure of it. Vegan or not, you are sure to love these cupcakes. Enjoy!

Adapted from Annie's Eats


Ingredients:
Cupcakes:
1/4 cup dark rum
1 cup Silk soy nog
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Frosting:
1/4 cup vegan butter, softened
3 tablespoons Silk soy nog
1 tablespoon dark rum
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 (or more) cups confectioners sugar

ground cinnamon and/or nutmeg
cinnamon sticks

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners. In a small bowl, mix together the rum, soy nog, oil, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. In a large bowl, mix together the nutmeg, sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Divide evenly between prepared muffin tins. Makes 12 cupcakes.

Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cakes spring back when lightly pressed. Cool in the pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the frosting, cream together the butter, soy nog, rum, nutmeg and confectioners sugar. Add in more confectioners sugar if needed to make the frosting stiff, but spreadable. Frost the cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with cinnamon and/or nutmeg and garnish with a cinnamon stick.