Sunday, November 30, 2008

Vegan Pumpkin Pie


Whether you have vegan friends or just want to try a variation on this Thanksgiving classic, you must taste this pie! Our best friends Molly & Tom are always testing out new vegan desserts so Molly sent me this recipe to try this year. It was so delicious that they each ate 2 pieces even after our big Tofurkey meal! ;) 

While you could make this with a basic pie dough crust, I chose a graham cracker crust instead. It was perfect! I recommend using a 9 inch deep-dish pie plate as mine was a regular one and it was a bit too much filling for that.

This is so creamy and decadent, you would never know it's missing eggs and dairy. Enjoy!

Adapted from The Whole Soy Cookbook

Ingredients:

Crust:
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
4 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
2 tablespoons sugar

Filling:
1 lb (16 oz) firm, silken tofu
1 cup soy sour cream
2 cups canned pumpkin
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Directions:

Crust: Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Combine all ingredients; press over bottom and up sides of the pie plate. Pre-bake for about 8 minutes. Let cool while you prepare the filling.

Filling: Put the tofu and soy sour cream in the food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Add pumpkin, brown sugar and spices and mix until thoroughly combined. Pour the mixture into prepared crust and bake for 1 hour, until the center is slightly jiggly. 

Cool and serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.

3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmm! I love dessert recipes using tofu so I hope to make this soon! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

My little brother LOVES vegan pumpkin pie but I never ventured and made one. Now that I have a recipe, I'll have to do just that! Thanks!

Cate said...

Silken tofu is the best invention ever! I haven't tried it in a dessert yet but I really want to!